Sunday, September 5, 2010

[Scratch]: Grooveshark

Grooveshark

I really love Grooveshark. It has become my primary source of music. I not only run the app on my phone, I also use it in a browser on the computer work. Which I share with my coworkers. Because of GS I was able to remoove nearly half the songs from my phone freeiing up a few gigs of space for more apps - i was nearly out of space before finding this awesome app. 

I tried it out for free first, but after the first 50 songs (i think it is 50) it stops working. I was already sold though so I immediately bought myself a VIP account for $3 a month. Which gives me immediate, on-demand access to (as far as I can tell so far) pretty much any and every song I could possibly want to listen to. I have not yet been stumped. I end up supplying the music at allot of friends houses when they find out that I have that song they've been dying to hear for the last few years.

The app itself runs pretty well. It will burn the battery dead quicker than playing mp3's stored on the phone, so battery life is an issue if you are streaming music on the go. I used to stream quite a bit of stuff off of youtube, but then I couldn't put my phone in a my pocket or mutli-task. Now I can do both. AccuRadio is nice, but with GrooveShark I get to stream whatever I want. It has taught me to always plug my phone in every chance I get. I really hate it when I run out of juice.

One thing I have noticed is that when running GS and the FaceBook app i have a hard time opening new cards, with the "too many cards" message being all too common. If i shut down at least one of the apps then all is good. I think it is probably the FB app that is causing the memory leak though. If I turned updates off I'd be ok, but I prefer leaving it on. I am never that far between power sources so it's not that big an issue.

Overall this is now one of my favourite and most used apps. I find it an incredible deal at $3 a month. It's much cheaper (and less hassle) than by buying cd's. And I hate iTunes. Haven't really started buying music online, and now I don't have to. I just hope Apple (or anybody else) doesn't buy them out and shut them down. 




No comments:

Post a Comment