Friday, September 10, 2010

Less is More

I am regularly surprized by how many apps I have. And by how many of them I have never (or nearly never) used. And the many that I have used but still haven't really figured out. The craziest part is that I have already deleted every app that I am willing to. I do so at least every week or so. At the moment I actually believe every app on my phone is useful.

Or it is one app in a niche I haven't fully flushed out yet for myself. Even for documents I am still not completely settled. I am feeling pretty satisfied and comfortable with Notes, but I will not be deleting Scratch or ClassicNotes any time soon. The fact that all are paid apps may provide some protection from deletion. If space does become a premium it is nice to know I can reinstall them any time should I decide to erase them.

There are two areas right now where I need to perhaps trim some fat. I have too many list apps and too many money (financial/bills apps).

Daily and ShopList serve similar functions, but have different functions for me. Daily I actually try and use every day. It's main purpose for me is to help me discipline myself on a daily basis. Shoplist I don't use every day, but I do use it regularly as more of a custom Agenda for special days or as a simple breakdown of more complex tasks. I use TrackMyWork to track my blogging, martial arts training and my work. MyLists and Checklists are quite similar. I think I prefer Checklists and may very well uograde to the paid and delete Checklists. We'll see.

For finances it is my hope that Dough will allow me to delete the other two apps. I have been using cashbox, but often forget to use it. Financial apps seem to work best when I actually use them consistently. When I am broke it is easier to stay disciplined.

I still don't get twitter, but I sm learning and I think I will purchase Bad Kitty soon. In the mean time I will figure things out first on the free twitter apps. I am still new to the various social media apps. I've only been on FaceBook a few months after all.

I am still not comfortable with the gps-based apps. Mainly because I am not very confident in that area of my Pre's performance. Google Maps just isn't that impressive, and I guess I judge other apps by the same standard. So I have Yelp and Foursquare but haven't really used them (yet). But I mean to, one of these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment