Thursday, August 26, 2010

Youtube Mobile

 My first source of music outside of the mp3's stored on my phone was YouTube. It was one of the included apps and probably the one that was the most "advanced" (from a smartphone perspective) and that I had the most awareness and familiarity with. Which is funny because it is widely believed to be one of the weakest of the default apps.

At first there was just the basic app, with no way to log into your acount, or do a decent search. There were a few apps available that helped you organize and keep track of previously viewed videos. But complaints regarding account features and the poor search abilities were common.

A couple of months ago Gogle revamped their mobile site and it is now pretty sweet. It gives you full access to your acount, allowing you to save and organize all your favourites, playlists and subscriptions. You can read and make coments, a sorely missed feature for many users until now. And it finally has proper search and predictive playlist functions. By this I refer to predictive playlists based on past choices. The search in the player is terrible. The only feature not accessible is your inbox.

http://m.youtube.com/

It is also worth noting that YouTube's owner Google has also updated it's mobile site. It is definitely allot better. I had tried using my google acount on the web browser before, but other than the page fired up from the Universal Search, it was pretty frustrating trying to login to your account. Not anymore. I get a stripped down version of my iGoogle homepage. I can also directly access Google docs and the Google reader. Which has led to my decreased use of a few apps I used to use or was thinking about using, especially RSS readers.

Overall, Google has done a pretty good job making their empire more mobile friendly. Which only helps make my Pre even more useful to me in my daily life. Especially since it is my primary communcation, entertainment, and research / knowledge device.


http://ferenczypre.blogspot.com

-- Sent from my palm Pre

No comments:

Post a Comment