Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Listening to Music

Probably the biggest reason I decided upon a Palm Pre was becsuse it came with 8 gigs of memory. I wanted my phone to play music - mp3's, and I wanted to be able to listen to a decent amount of songs. The Pre was free through bell, and no other free phone had even half the memory, never mind all the other features (most of which I was completely ignorant of at the time). The value of the Pre is definitely not appreciated at Bell. The sales rep I dealt with was in an independent phone store that sold all brands and represented all the carriers. She tried fairly hard to get me on a different carrier, and she was not at all enthusiastic about the Pre.

Nearly four months later, and I am still learning how to get more out of my Pre, how it can continue to further enhance my life and my standard of living. I am also pretty much out of available storage space, and I need to start deleting stuff.

With nearly 800 songs taking up well over half my storage, this would be a good place to start. I am lucky if I even listen to a quarter of them. But I do like having variety. I usually have my player on random. Some songs I will skip, but not always. As I get down to my last half gig, memory space get's more valuable, and I have to be more descriminating in what I keep.

I do not own my own computer, never mind a home connexion. Just my phone. This can make downloading music is a real hassle. Which means anything I remove I either have to upload to the cloud if I want to keep it, or just lose it altogether. All of this means that music streaming begins to appear more attractive.

In the past I hadn't really been that impressed with streaming audio. In hindsight it sems a rather idiotic prejudice to have. But then I guess that is true for all prejudices. I have been enjoying music off of YouTube for awhile now. And it sounds quite good - with video! The problem with YouTube is you can't put it in the background, or even lock the phone and and put it in my pocket.

So I finally realized that maybe I should give streaming audio another chance. I am very glad that I did. It turns out that there are numerous apps for streaming audio to your WebOS phone. Pandora seems to be the most highly regarded, but it is unavailable in Canada, so I wouldn't know.

Over the next few days I plan to review a few of the apps I use for filling my earphones with sound. Both some streaming apps, as well as some others.






http://ferenczypre.blogspot.com

-- Sent from my palm Pre

No comments:

Post a Comment